5 Creepy Marketing Tactics Worth Trying

by Jordan-Ann Powell | Oct 30, 2018

Disclaimer: get ready for some real punny twists on marketing tactics. There’s nothing better than having a little fun around Halloween, so to get the party started I figured I would share some spooky marketing tips. Not like the “Yikes! Facebook knows everything about me” spooky…well, maybe that’s exactly what I mean.

1. Screech. Make your messaging noticeable and memorable. It should stand out and alert people that something big is coming. Your branding and value proposition will likely be the first, and sometimes the only, things people will notice about your company. Make sure they stand out and are meaningful to who you are.

Just like people think of John Carpenter’s screechy, spooky Halloween theme song when they think of Halloween, you want your audience to think of you when they think of the problem you solve.

2. Be a Stalker. Ever get the feeling you’re being followed? Well, thanks to good, clean data and trusty retargeting pixels, marketers can follow consumers around the internet. Retargeting, aka remarketing, allows you to keep your brand in front of people through ads after they’ve left your website. “Generally, 2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store. Retargeting brings back the other 98%.” – AdRoll.

Of course, you don’t want to take the Scream route and flood them with creepy messages. So what’s the trick? Keep it relevant. Use retargeting to send a message to those who have visited your website recently. Remind them of who you are and intrigue them to come back when they’re ready.

3. Use Bait. Unlike the classic monsters, marketers can’t just jump out from behind and capture customers by surprise. Getting a customer requires trust building (testimonials, examples) and creating opportunities to connect.

Do you have a compelling offer? Depending on your business and sales cycle, you may have the need to build trust before the sale. In addition to the items or services you sell, consider offering something of value in exchange for an email address. This can include tips to make your customers’ lives easier or a lighter version of the service you offer.

4. Bring Back the Dead. All customers have the potential to live out the Lazarus effect. Let’s wake them up. Stay in front of the people you’ve connected with in the past, whether they’re buying from you or not, and be ready for the day they come back to life.

Beware: you’ll want to reach your sleeping beauties before the ghouls do. If you’re not staying in front of people you’ve connected with, it’s even more likely a competitor will reach them first.

5. Anticipate Their Next Move. I have a four-year-old. Last month, her favorite Halloween candy was Starbursts. This week, it’s Smarties. Like toddlers, consumers have a varying degree of needs and they often change or evolve over time.

As a business, it’s important to understand the market and stay connected to it and your consumers to keep a pulse on their needs. What’s their “favorite candy” this season? How can you anticipate their next move and surprise them by showing up exactly where they are?

What’s really spooky is the thought of not having any tried and true marketing tactics under your belt to help you come out alive. If you need some extra help or want to know more about the tactics we use, reach out to our team here. We promise no tricks, only treats.

About the author

 by Jordan-Ann Powell

Posts by this author